March 13, 2014

the beginning of park season

Slowly but surely the days are warming up, lengthening in daylight, and showing ever more signs of summer coming just around the corner. Today warmed up to the mid-60s and with the afternoon came bright blue skies - a beautiful spring day, perfect for spending some time at the park.

Actually, our going to the park came about from a surprise request from Gavin. As bold and energetic as he is, he is surprisingly not daring. Case in point: he took a pretty nasty fall off of his bike last summer and has yet to get back on it (I'm pretty sure I'm not above complete bribery to get him back on it at this point. I'm thinking a one-two combo of the promise of candy and a new Transformer toy. Can't lose.). So when today he said, "Can we go to the skate park so I can ride my scooter on the ramps?" I blinked in surprise and then basically threw him and Judah in the car before Gavin could change his mind about this sudden daring-for-him request. The rest of the afternoon was spent watching him somehow become a ten-year-old before my eyes. There was also a lot of hovering-while-trying-not-to-be-smothering (because, hello, high schoolers on skate boards are huge! and fast!). Also, there was lots of trying to both encourage his endeavors and not psych him out of rolling down a ramp on two wheels and a board (in my head, though? "Aaagggh!") While Gavin was shredding on the ramps (and after I'd stopped holding my breath), Judah, B, and I hung out and babbled to each other (well, Judah and I babbled - Brent tries to stick to real words in public) before taking a turn on the swings. Crazy internal conversations with myself aside, I  live for these kinds of days.













No comments:

Post a Comment